The most time consuming part of these is boiling the potatoes or kumara. I chose to do this before work to ensure they were on the table quickly! Serve with a salad or hot vegetables (we had broccoli and cheese sauce), and tomato, sweet chilli or tartare sauce on the side.
300g fish (I used blue cod)
500g kumara or potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
rind of 1 lemon and juice of half a lemon
2 T parsley
3 slices of wholegrain bread, turned into crumbs in the food processor
oil to shallow fry
1. Boil and mash the potatoes or kumara.
2. Heat a small amount of oil in the frying pan on medium heat, and lightly fry the fish on both sides.
3. Flake the fish and mix with the mashed veges, egg, lemon juice and rind and parsley. Place the breadcrumbs on a plate.
4. Heat some more oil in the pan.
5. Shape a small handful of mixture into a flat patty – around 2 cm thick. Roll in the breadcrumbs and fry in the hot oil on both sides until golden.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all the mixture is used up.
7. Serve the fish cakes with vegetables and sauces.